Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Pop-Ed Page

After a particularly illuminating conversation about the virtues, or lack thereof, of the NYT's Op-Ed page (Thanks for lunch, Beens!), I've decided that if I can't use the Sulzberger Soapbox as a forum for expressing my views, this is the next best thing. However, being in the midst of finals, blogworthy thoughts are hitting my brain at the speed of Adrian Peterson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4710315) and I am lacking the time with which to record them. As such, I resort to NK for inspiration yet again and am here to grace you with 7 thoughts about pop culture this week. Okay, some of them aren't about pop culture, but I'm counting on you to play along.

1. Ding, dong the witch is dead. Teri's fateful secret is finally revealed on this week's episode of Glee -- which sucked by the way. Even I am finding it difficult to suspend enough disbelief to keep on watching. Mr. Schu can't be in the yearbook picture because he slept on a mattress that can't be returned? Weak. Emma is suddenly on Team Teri? And Team Ken, for that matter? Weaker. The producers can make it up to me with some Will-Emma action before the show goes on hiatus. And that's how Sue "c"s it.

2. The Elin-ator. It seems that Tiger's wife has pulled a Lorena Bobbitt of sorts. An athlete hasn't fallen this far from grace since...well, ever. And, while at first, I was impressed with her ballsy-ness, I've since realized that violence is never the answer. She should take a note from Ivana Trump and employ the "Don't get mad, get everything" philosophy. It seems that she has already roped Tiger into some thrice-daily marriage counseling routine. If that's not tantamount to castration, I don't know what is.

3. In other news, Chabad in now aiding in the effort to train bomb-sniffing dogs in Montana. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/05/us/05religion.html?em
My only question is this: Does anyone know if Max Baucus put on tefillin today?

4. I just ordered my first ever item from etsy.com...and it was inspired by Sarah Palin. Is it a gift for my dad? Obviously.
On the topic of SP, Jonathan "Scary Spice" Berliner had the opportunity to meet her this past week in his adopted hometown of Richland, WA. When she didn't sign his book, he returned it. In a comment on a previous post, Jon let us know that this blog is one of his graveyard shift must-reads. I'm shocked to find out that "Going Rogue" didn't make the cut.

5. Getting to seven is harder than I thought. Appreciation for Navah's consistent work is growing. Check her out at sevendailyreasons.blogspot.com.

6. The professional football season is slowly creeping to a close and it is causing me more distraction than ever. Why couldn't things have been this interesting last season -- when I didn't care about finals at all? When they say that the MVP race is heating up, they mean because Brett is hot, right?

7. I'm looking for suggestions of things to do during a stopover in Rome...on Christmas Eve. I've got 10 hours to kill in the Eternal City. Ready, Set, Go.

Later, Gators.
(Oops. Sorry Nav. I didn't mean to insult you...or Tim Tebow.)

3 comments:

  1. "Tiger Woods's wife, Elin Nordegren, has announced that Tiger's name has been changed to Cheetah"

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Rome, you should blog! My next graveyard shift is from Xmas to New Year's. You know how it is with Jewish-civil holidays.

    ReplyDelete