Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Insomnia Speaks

So...I can't sleep. I know, I know...Those of you who have lived with me are probably shocked by this turn of events. Just bear in mind that it is 3 AM and not 3 PM. I'm sure that if it were 3 PM, I'd be out cold.
Anyway, after watching several "fanvids" that I should never admit to watching on YouTube, I decided to scour my own Facebook page in search of something that requires editing. In my scouring, I came upon the only "Note" that I ever posted. Remember that "25 Things About Me" craze that swept the web last year? Well, never one to let a trend pass me by, I, too, created one of those lists. And, shocker, I've re-posted it below.
My apologies that this is going to be a re-read for some of you -- but creativity is in short supply at the moment.
One last thing: While I am well aware that I beg for comments far too often (cough, Avishai called me a comment slut, cough), I could really use the morale boost during this particular stretch of finals. The Federal Rules of Civil Procedure are really starting to wear me down. So, pretty please?
Melatonin Wishes and Ambien Dreams, Y

25 Things...
(Originally posted to Facebook in February 2009)

By now you know the rules...

1. I am obsessed with my family. I love and admire both my parents and siblings more than words can adequately express.

2. My friends make fun of the overtly gushy way I often express my appreciation of them. What they don’t realize is that I haven’t even begun to get at just how much they mean to me.

3. I sleep way too much. I slept for fifteen straight hours twice – this week.

4. The first real concert I ever went to was a Faith Hill-Tim McGraw joint show. Yes, I am embarrassed.

5. I still harbor dreams of co-anchoring Sportscenter and being the first female sportscaster to be universally adored by men.

6. My favorite food is cereal. It is not uncommon for me to go through a box a day.

7. Josh and Donna from The West Wing are my all-time favorite TV couple. Cory and Topanga run a close second.

8. I firmly believe that an NFL quarterback’s talent is inextricably linked to his physical appearance. For examples, see Favre, Brett and Brady, Tom.

9. Whenever I don’t want to teach people how to pronounce my name, I tell them that my name is Ellie. This is particularly helpful in Starbucks, Anthropologie, and on the continent of Australia.

10. On the subject of names, my karaoke alias is Gail. Gail’s favorite night at karaoke was when a mysterious fellow, whom her friends have since nicknamed “Alfredo”, rushed the stage and kissed her.

11. My first singing solo was at my kindergarten class’s Chanukah dinner. I was given the task of singing “Light One Candle for the Maccabee Children” because I was the only one in the class who could read the verses.

12. As a proud Feit family member, I am forever indebted to The Office for making the paper business cool.

13. My 2nd grade Little League team was the Colorado Rockies. I was one of two girls on the team. I had purple Converse sneakers to match my uniform.

14. When I worked at Camp HASC, I was twice the subject of the staff "mussar shmooze." Once for having a water fight with boys and once for watching movies with boys. Oops.

15. I was cast as a prostitute-like character in each of my three high school musicals. I’m not sure what it was about me that Ms. Goldberg thought spelled promiscuity.

16. I do not know how to ride a bike. Whenever I go down to Kiawah, I need to rent an adult tricycle.

17. I love making lists. I wrote an essay about making lists for my Creative Writing class at Melbourne Uni. My professor was a dead-ringer for Harvey Keitel. I couldn’t get through class without craving a Royale with Cheese.

18. I collect “I Love Lucy” paraphernalia. I can’t remember when I started or why. I can recite the entire Vitameatavegimin speech by rote.

19. The first thing I ever read out loud was a Cascade dishwashing detergent ad in Good Housekeeping magazine.

20. When I was in 11th grade, my choir sang at President Bush’s Chanukah party. We were later mocked on SNL’s Weekend Update. I’m still not sure which part of that story is cooler.

21. Despite facing vehement opposition in both Kiawah and Belarus, I still think that “Dave” is an awesome movie.

22. In seventh grade, my friends and I used to ditch our basketball clinic to watch Dawson’s Creek in the JCC Lounge. Once, during a 2-hour episode, we forgot to go outside for our carpool. When my friend’s dad went to the gym to look for us, the basketball coach told him we had stopped coming to clinic months ago. Needless to say, we were busted. I still blame my pitiful free-throw percentage on James Van der Beek.

23. On my thirteenth birthday, Ilana Feuer and I bought tickets to Starship Troopers and snuck into the R-rated Cruel Intentions instead. We were soon kicked out of the theater by a man in a green sweatshirt. Bastard.

24. I am inconsistent in my use of proper punctuation marks. Note the errant use of quotation marks in this list as an example. Also, I favor the dash and the semi-colon over traditional sentence structure.

25. I made up a story about what happens to Gordon Bombay and Charlie Conway’s mom after the end of The Mighty Ducks. D2, despite being a far superior movie, ruined my plans.

5 comments:

  1. Haha...I almost commented with the same exact thing I posted almost a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. also while looking through the Ramaz '04 "Under Scrutiny" yearbook this weekend, i noticed that ur yearbook quote is teh same as ur facebook description.
    (btw, 2 comments = major civ pro morale boost that i am sending ur way)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellie:

    So interesting at how your personality is like a big melting pot for sitcom personalities!

    BUT don't fall into the sitcom trap of reruns:
    Lately, I think I've seen a bit if rehashing of old Yael (lists, 25 things, etc.).

    Tell us what you are feeling now...what are you reading...what are you thinking about...who are you thinking about...what gets you through your day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. just keep triking, shteinsy / ellie / gail!! you're almost there

    ReplyDelete